Saturday, August 1, 2009

“There are many who would choose not to help sinners…”

As an observer, I always lie in wait to watch for the simple scenarios in everyday life. They help me to reflect what is already there or what is essential to gain. With this explanation, I impart you my story:

In one gloomy day, when I was walking way home, I saw a ragged man who was pushing a cart full of bottles and newspapers. Some people say, he is “The man who did not study well in school that is why he contributes burden in our society (A.K.A Salot sa Lipunan). For that, he is pointed out as a sinner, who is ignorant, foolish and vague. Others would brand him as “The thief who uses his looks to gain both pity and money.” To this, people would frown and look at him with loathing. I cannot forget to add the crowd who eschews him because he is made the way he is (dirty, foul and rotten). They say “Our body is the temple of God, why abandon it like that? This careless comment makes our ragged man a sinner. We cannot forget the recent development of thought to this man got; he is “The man who is used by a consortium to gain money through their begging. Though they are many, none of them would choose to reach their hand out to this man, offer him a “Hello” or give alms. Why? It is because they know what he is today is the reason of his own actions and that, they could never excuse him for anything. He has his own life and we have our own. In short, “We don’t care…”

There are people who would opt to help this ragged man but they are also constricted upon the conflict of what is KINDNESS nowadays. The practical would say “You are considered stupid if you give help to people like that”. How, this considerate person would say. “It is because you are teaching them to be dependent of your help. You are showing them the easy way which to us laboring mammals, are wrong. Look, if they are given blessings in just a matter of time while we work our entire lives to get these blessings, it would be unfair.” The kind one defeated of notion, leaving them behind. He must contemplate another cause to prevail his point. On the other hand, the blind mammals are rejoicing they think they have influenced this individual. They feast with their laughs and think of another development to abolish the idea of helping. So much for this practicality

Out of a sudden, I diverted my direction and helped the man on the street while he picked his things as the street vendor ordered him to leave. I remembered I was not in my uniform and I am a stranger that remains to be mysterious. I saw a lot of people with raised eyebrows and whispering. There are lots of scowling faces, showing that what I am doing is not acceptable anymore to the society. I ignored and continue to help this man with his cart. I conversed with him and he told me he was an illegal resident of that area and he had been circling for three days. I said if I just report his problem to our barangay captain, he replied OK. I was satisfied. Before we departed to our separate ways, I handed him all the money I have and the snack I offered and ran. I knew he was going to return it to me for he wouldn’t even accept the snack I offered (“I ate already” he explains but I think the expression of hunger was written all over his face). After that I wept.

I did not weep because out of the crowd I stepped out and did an effort to help but got forsaken for it. The society at the present time was clouded by the idea of being trapped in a hard time (How could this be a hard time when there are a lot of improvements around?). They accepted the value of practicality over kindness while the truth is kindness can take you further and pertains not more to life but more than life. Let me make it clear for these people. Do you know why we are trapped in this so-called “Hard time”? It is because you only think of yourselves. It is because you cannot afford to help people anymore and do the exact opposite: you have learned to love dragging people down so you can be called as “the people who are higher than ‘them’”. You cannot find peace until you have learned you are greater upon others. That is why you don’t like to help sinners; because you think they should be in the lower circle of hell than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment